Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Week That Will Live In Infamy

It's taken me a few days to calm down and collect myself from the events of last week. Living a life on the edge has conditioned me to be what I thought fairly "seasoned" when it comes to handling conflict and trauma. I was wrong. Last week was a wave of upset with the departure of our dearest dog and family member Sunny. Sunny was our first child. Bob had always wanted a yellow lab, and I couldn't think of a more perfect wedding present than a lovable pup. She was everything a family dog could ever be and more. She was our baby, a Nana to our children, an honorary "cat" with our cat pack, the neighborhood pet (she had special stops at the neighbors who kept treats for her), a free spirit who loved to run and play. She was always happy. There are posts and posts that could be written for Sunny the Super Sundog. Once I can write them without falling apart, I will. We've never been a family without her, and it's a hard adjustment.


Friday came and I was starting to feel some relief that the week was almost over when the phone call came. The phone call that gave me the news that I have been in fear of for at least 12 years. "Your biopsy results are in, it's malignant melanoma. We need you to come in for surgery first thing Monday morning." Well, there it was.


The millions of thoughts running through my mind between the snores of Friday night to the snores of Sunday morning could fill the remainder of the Internet.


I can't blame anyone but myself.


Chocolate was a color I used to strive for. It made me feel beautiful, it made me feel skinny, it made me feel more comfortable in my own skin. Here I am at 42, scarred, freckled, wearing a big floppy hat and SPF 100. If anyone who is reading this particular post gets anything from it, I hope it's that if you go to a tanning bed, you STOP it right away. Use sunscreen and be smart out in the sun. It CAN kill you.


Monday morning came, a new day for a new week. Surgery was successful (thank you God and Dr. Sammons) and I go back in a few weeks for another scan.


Was God trying to tell me something last week? Of course. Life is short. Make the most of every day and don't have regrets that you carry with you. Pet your dog every chance you get, wear sunscreen when you go outside, pay attention to your body, don't think you're invincible, love the ones you're with and most of all, accept the consequences and yourself.

2 comments:

  1. That's one of my big fears. I'm scheduling an appt with Dr. Sammons today, after talking to his PA last night at care group about some wonky-looking moles and skin patches. My skin has been sunburned to lobster-like hues each and every summer of my life. My parents just didn't know, and thought that the burns would turn to tan. That's what happens when an irish- heritage- in- the- woodpile- offspring comes out to some predominantly italian-meets-indian parents. I'd better keep closer tabs on it. (please don't yell "Ya THINK!!?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about Sunny, Lyd. I wish I was there to hug you and love on ya. I'm beyond relieved your surgery went well. Thank you for sharing your story....love ya always.

    ReplyDelete