Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Blossoms in the Breeze


As we rest in our room for an afternoon break, I am listening to the snores emanating from my dear mother (she will not be happy that I shared that with you) and was inspired to write a quick post while I am in our great nation’s capitol. There have been many reasons to bring my mother on this pilgrimage to Washington, DC, many that some folks might find surprising.

Firstly, my mother has always wanted to see the cherry blossoms on the Tidal Basin. As a girl growing up I can remember around Easter time every year she would get the new Ideals magazine. Quickly leafing through the pages together to the issue’s colorful scene of the Jefferson Memorial and the flowering trees we would be in awe. Every spring issue was guaranteed a cherry blossom spread. She would look at me with a big smile and say “wouldn’t that be something to see?!” And indeed it was. And we finally saw the real thing… together.

Secondly, my mother is an amazing letter-writer. She has written letters to our politicians and community leaders, to missionaries overseas, to strangers in need, to our military soldiers, to scores of people for a multitude of reasons. Maybe concern, or support, others for questions about decisions being made, whatever the reason, the power in her pen has been mighty. It pleased me greatly to watch her face light up as we explored the halls of the Library of Congress and the National Archives. There, at her fingertips were letters that created a country, letters that expressed the deepest of concerns, and letters that made a difference.

Thirdly, my mother is very patriotic. Most likely the most patriotic person I know next to my father. The drums and brass of John Philip Sousa can be found in her boom box any day of the week. The Pledge of Allegiance at the raising of her porch flag, Veteran’s Day parades and services in the cemetery, wearing poppies, memorizing patriotic verses, believing in everything the United States stands for, and supporting our troops and their families.

Finally, a trip to DC because every now and again, we two girls need to escape together. A mother-daughter out of town trip where we can talk non-stop, eat yummy food, go exciting places, indulge ourselves and just act plain silly. As the colder weather pushed through today with winds of 30 miles per hour, the beautiful white blossoms we came to see were floating through the air, like a soft, delicate snow of petals. Just as the blossoms were departing, so would we in the morning.

I am thinking back on our past three days and all of the wonderful sights, smells and sounds we have experienced.

There have been so many memories made and smiles shared. My favorite memory of this trip though will be of my beautiful mother, looking out over the Basin to the Jefferson Memorial, taking off her scarf and letting her white hair blow in the wind. Giving herself the freedom to be a blossom in the breeze.

7 comments:

  1. What can I say but WOW! Beautifully written passage about two beautiful women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words have brought tears to my eyes! I'm so glad you have had this chance to see DC and spend quality time with your Mom. I'm going to call my mom tonight and tell her I love and admire her! Thank You, Lyd. Lot of love, Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lydia! I read this post for the first time around 5:00 am today. And then I read it again a little later, and now I find myself reading it again. The love that emanates from your writing is amazing---or as my favorite quote meister Winnie-the-Pooh would suggest--it's "tingly." Thank you for sharing the nostalgia, the trip, and most certainly the special nature of Mother-Daughter time. Hat's off to you, and scarf's off to your Mom.

    Kaki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies for reading my posts! Your comments are always so valued and appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your mother and my Caden would get along very well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic post. The cherry blossoms are one of my favorite memories of living in DC. I'm so glad you and Barbara got to experience that together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful, Lydia. Your love for Barbara is Deep and Wide. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete