Monday, March 21, 2011

It was a dark and stormy night...


In my night time world between snores I've witnessed many a weather beater. Snow storms, wind storms, thunderstorms, hail storms, all kinds of storms. It's the kind of night that you know you'll end up having all sorts of company in bed. I've often wondered why bedding companies don't make a "family mattress". I can see the ad now... "Tired of being smashed into 5 inch wide strip on stormy nights? Unable to move your legs when sleeping with 7? Buy the Family Mattress! Twice the Mattress with Four Times the Space!"

Lying awake I count between the snores, then between the lightning and the thunder booms.... 1...2...3... then the pattering of sleepy feet coming down the hall with a quiet scared whisper "Mama? Can I get in bed with you?" I pull the covers back and Elena hops over into the middle. The thunder gets closer. The dog starts to pace. She comes over and is now face to face with me panting with fear. I pat the bottom of the bed and her 13 year old hips get her up and over and to the side. The lightning cracks wickedly close to the house. There is a gallop heard coming down the hall ... Carmen. She runs to my side of the bed and like a mother hen lifting up her feathers, I lift the comforter and pull her up into safety.

There we are, all squeezed together, when the cats decide to muscle in. Radar stretched out along my side and Tom snuggled up with Sunny. Its the kind of night that doesn't happen often, but when it does I try to remember every moment because one day it won't exist anymore, and I'll be back to weathering the storm in a bed of two.

It's quite a sight really. And a sound. Everyone sleeping ... and snoring.

1 comment:

  1. Lydia, you are a fantastic writer!! Looking over your posts, I agree they are worth reading again, and sharing. Please continue! I know you have many talents already, but writing is another one to nurture and let bloom. And, I enjoy your pictures, etc., your computer skills amaze me. Dark & stormy night is Wonderful!! Mama D.

    ReplyDelete