Monday, March 14, 2011

Daffodils and Mayonnaise Jars


Ever since I was a little girl I have loved daffodils. They hold a very sentimental meaning to me for so many reasons. First, being a spring flower, the daffodils seasonally start to bloom right around my birthday. I can remember walking through the field across from 426 Dunkin Avenue in Bridgeport, West Virginia picking what daffodils I could to take home to my mother, excited that she would put them in a big glass mayonnaise jar in the middle of the kitchen table. I wasn't that fond of how daffodils smelled, but I loved the way they looked. Happy, bright, a small trumpet in the middle declaring "Joy to Ye People! Spring has Come!" When I moved from Bridegport to St. Marys, West Virginia, I was in the second grade and as you can imagine, not thrilled that we were moving. We were moving to a big old three story house next to the Baptist Church ... the parsonage. It was massive to an 8 year old girl. I knew no one. I had a huge bedroom all alone. I missed my best friend that I had to leave in Bridgeport, Annie Faris, and I wanted to go back.

Two days into our new life in St. Marys I was sulking in my second floor room and feeling sorry for myself when I kept hearing singing outside my window. I opened the window and propped a stick up to hold it and looked out. I hadn't realized that the house next door was about 3 feet away! I had never had a house so close to mine. The singing continued, and turned into humming. I caught a quick glimpse of white hair shuffling just under the open criss-cross window in the neighboring house. Spontaneously I shouted "Hellooo!". The humming stopped. I said "Hello over there!" Then a window opened on the other side of the criss-cross window room and a friendly elderly woman peered out and shouted back at me "Hello over THERE!" I had just met Mrs. West. We had a nice conversation from our second story windows.


The next morning on the front porch I was surprised with a lovely bunch of daffodils in a jelly jar with a simple note saying "Welcome, from Mrs. West".

Maybe this place wouldn't be so bad after all.

Spring after spring I watched the daffodils bloom around the churchyard, in the cemetery, in the park up the road and in the playground.

When it was time for me to go to college, I was thrilled to see the hillsides of daffodils in Philippi. On College Hill Road on the way up the hill to the college, there is a hill that blooms daffodils from top to bottom. I imagine they're out right now.


We would pick bundles of daffodils and sneak them off to our rooms to put in whatever empty jars we could find. I had never seen so many in one place.

Now in my 42nd year, I still get excited when its daffodil days. Watching my girls pick them out of the yard makes me smile, and I keep an old mayonnaise jar at the ready.

6 comments:

  1. Don't forget to keep a spare mayonnaise jar for lightening bugs...another reminder of warm weather and summer staple for the kids of St. Marys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have lightening bug parties on the spur of the moment; I'll let you know when the next one is. We sit on my front steps/wall/porch and drink cheap wine while the kids run around across the road catching them in jars. The museum lawn is a great place to catch them :)

    I miss daffodils. I should plant some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful post. I want to attend a lightning bug party, too. I have no kids, but I'll contribute to the jars and the cheap wine, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lydia....I am loving each and every one of your posts! Greg and Kristy directed me to your blog and I now have it tucked into my Daily folder. Wow--they are worth reading over and over again.

    Post more! They're just great.

    Kaki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kaki! Hoping to come see you at the shop soon :) I need a shopping fix!

    ReplyDelete